What Psy Of Gangnam Style Could Teach Us About #SocialMedia
Posted by anisesmith
To those that may be unaware, social media is starting to BE The Media choice for news. We have really moved beyond getting news in a traditional way and we have moved toward more social ways of obtaining our news, entertainment and otherwise. Social media as a means to get news is really growing in popularity to the point that traditional news outlets are falling behind. This is primarily due to having the ability to get news from mobile devices and tables on demand. I know, when something happens or when I want to find out more information about practically ANYTHING I got online and scout out my online content sources.
Social Media and content is so mobile and global that it has really expanded the reach of many. I love that social media has really allowed people to move out of their geographic area and to mainstream quicker than ever. Psy and Gangnam is a huge example of expansion into a much more global world by way of social media, social content and viral video.
A few weeks ago before this became a phenomenon, my son showed me this video. He is 13 and heavily into K-Pop or Korean Pop music. He is part Korean (1/4) so he is very interested in this culture. He additionally is very into sharing content with me that will give me laugh. I must really give him credit for a lot of my really funny Facebook wall content. So a few weeks ago he showed me this video and I thought it was absolutely hysterical. I LOVED this guy immediately because he was so entertaining. I asked my son immediately if this was suppose to be a “serious” video because it was so campy and funny. At 13 he gave me a look that said…”look mom, I’m only 13 and it’s not that deep for me…”
Psy created a runaway hit in Gangnam style so much that there have been many versions of this video created which is a for sure indication of how successful it is. Psy is a Korean pop star that I’m sure had NO idea of what would happen when he created the video Gangnam Style. I am also pretty sure that he is very please with the results and amazed at the power of social media.
This is a GREAT example of how social media efforts can really give brands exposure through the sharing of content. Not every brand will experience this kind of exposure, however it does display the importance of increasing your social media presence AND adding video to your digital marketing strategy.
Gungnam Style specifically is an example of the replacement of traditional media and it’s importance. At one time the successfulness of songs and video were totally dependent upon traditional TV and Cable mediums. That is no longer the case due to YouTube and social media being uses as an avenue to push content. This is also and example of how important visual elements are to the digital marketing strategy.
Take a look below at some of the visual elements that you can easily incorporate into your social media strategy.
- YouTube: Video is huge and should be the first element included in social media strategy. Create a Youtube channel, customize it with your brand and start adding videos. I would be great to use a 60 second commercial as the feature video of your channel and then add others as you see fit. Learning how to create videos is a great skill to have and can only be good for business because you can create tutorials, videos about your business and more. These videos can be shared to your Facebook Page, on Twitter, your blog and other social media channels. Also, Youtube video is indexed by Google so it will aid in exposure for your brand.
- Slideshare:Everyone has created a presentation or two for company meetings. Use Slideshare to share these presentations online and also add value to some of your blog posts by incorporating these presentations.
- Flickr: Is a great channel to host and share photos. You could add photos of company events, blog images and more. You can also chose how you’d like to share these images with others.
- Pinterest: Is the newest and is being labeled one of the hottest image sharing social media platforms out there. I suggest you start pinning as well. It is fun and offers a great opportunity to promote your brand through images.
What’s really great about all of the channels above are that they offer an opportunity to increase brand awareness by way of visual medium and they also increase your chances of having your content shared.
We are, right now living through a historical transition of how we communicate, share and promote content. It’s HUGE and businesses really should be paying attention. Gangnam Style, although just a video, really displays this change for all to see.
- Why You MUST Ignore Your Social Media Scores (anisesmithmarketing.com)
- Businesses Should Mimic The Politicians With #SocialMedia with [Infographic] (anisesmithmarketing.com)
- Mobile Web is Not COMING It’s HERE Just In Case You Haven’t Noticed [Infographic] (anisesmithmarketing.com)
- Psy’s “Gangnam Style” MV hits 300 million views on YouTube (allkpop.com)
About anisesmithAnise Smith has a Masters Degree in Internet Marketing from Full Sail University. She is President and Director of Anise Smith Marketing which specializes in New Media Marketing Strategies such as Mobile Web, QR code Products, Analytics, Virtual World Integration and more. She has clients primarily focused in the entertainment and music industries which include music producers, artists, managers and booking agents. Anise is also the Digital Marketing Specialist of Full services healthcare Company, located in Cherry Hill, NJ. She uses her healthcare and pharmaceutical marketing background to implement cutting edge digital marketing strategies that merge traditional and digital mediums. She is in charge of creating and implementing marketing strategies for six internal health services brands. Her strategy for a new media marketing mix includes digital marketing, social media optimization, web analytics, video creation/editing, eCommerce platforms, mobile web readiness, custom CMS driven iFrame pages, custom branded WordPress layouts, mobile landing pages, CMS driven mobile pages, E-mail marketing, promotional marketing, building traditional/digital brand awareness and more. Her ultimate goal is to merge traditional marketing with digital marketing strategies to increase brand awareness, increase exposure and potentially increase sales online and offline within the health care services industry. She also works as an advocate for non profit organization which provides financial assistance for medically fragile children and their families. When she is not online she is a rabid Philadelphia EAGLES Fan, closet Foodie and single mom to a miniature male version of herself.
Posted on October 7, 2012, in Internet Marketing, Marketing, YouTube and tagged Anise Smith, Business, gangam style, global, Internet Marketing, Marketing, Marketing and Advertising, Marketing strategy, Social Media, Technology, youtube video. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.