13 Things Digital Marketers Should Master In #2013
Posted by anisesmith
Last year I created a post about 12 Platforms That We Should Use in 2012 and my goodness what a difference a year makes. So much has happened in the world of Digital Marketing in 2012, all pretty exciting. Progress is always a wonderful thing and all of the changes, good, bad or ugly is history altering in this industry.
With so much change occuring last year, we should start 2013 with mastering some things that will alter and enhance our lives within this ever changing digital marketing space. Take a look at the 13 things you should master in 2013.
- Google+: Last Year Google+ barely made my list although I was always a fan. I must admit to being quite guilty of not utilizing this platform as much as I should. So this year I will change that! Google has really stepped up their game with this platform and that is a game changer for social media platforms. Google has integrated all of the Google services, this is HUGE. Google rolled out a great connection with Blogger, Youtube, merged Google Local and added Communities. ALL HUGE, especially when Facebook has been making so many changes that have not been beneficial to brands. One of these changes is the algorithm change almost forcing brands to utilize Facebook ads to get the exposure that they once had for free. Also the new layout that doesn’t allow branded iFrame pages to be the default landing page, again forcing brands to look at other channels for driving website traffic, namely Facebook ads. Finally Facebook doesn’t allow contact information on brand cover pages. ALL of these choices that Facebook has made make it very easy for brands to explore Google+ for their brands.
- Explore Twitter more thoroughly: As Facebook minimized avenues in which brands could expose their contactinformation to their followers, Twitter provided an opportunity for brands by way of the new layout and header to maximize exposure. This is reason enough to explore Twitter more or utilize it more, if you currently do not use it as much as you should.
- WordPress: If you are not utilizing wordpress and you have an old school traditional website, now is the time to consider looking at WordPress as your website/blog platform. The endless possibilities of this platform is enough to make you take a look at it and go for it. Also venture outside of the templates offered by WordPress, there are so many websites that offer templates that may better fit your brands needs. If you can’t find one suitable, consider getting a custom template created just for your brand.
- Triberr: Is a MUST have this year as it was last year, maybe more so. I cannot stress the importance of this platform enough. EVERYONE that blogs needs to be a part of Triberr for the maximum exposure to their blog. The key to Triberr and being successful is being selective about Tribes. Make Triberr a part of your digital marketing strategy for 2013 NOW!
- Refresh Your Brand: Your digital marketing strategy loses its effectiveness without consistent branding. It is very important to have a memorable and consistent brand across all social media channels. A new year is a great time to freshen your old brand or even start from scratch.
- Monetize Your Content: If you have a decent blog following you should consider monetizing your content. Look at Google ads, affiliate marketing and other monetizing options.
- Go Visual: Even if you are currently put off by Instagram don’t let that stop you from diving into other visual platforms. Check out Flickr, Pinterest or both. Don’t forget to incorporated Youtube into your Digital Marketing Mix. The new year is a great time to create a company capabilities videos displaying some of the new services that you offer or emphasize some of the other services that you currrently offer. Incorporate your new refreshed brand while you’re at it in to your Youtube channel.
- Add some traditional Marketing to your mix: All of any one way to market is never a good idea even in this very digital world. I have blogged often about integrating digital into traditional marketing, but there are a few traditional marketing concepts that work well with digital marketing concepts. Although traditional marketing has changed so much it is not totally obsolete. A fusion of traditional and digital marketing is something that should be explored. Consider doing a direct mail campaign to reintroduce your newly branded online presence and wordpress page. This will allow you to tie your marketing efforts together and create some buzz about your newly branded online presence.
- Explore new technologies: There is always a reason to explore new technologies, primarily because we are living through a huge period of change with technologies. Although these technologies aren’t exactly new, they are not totally embraced yet so learn more about Augmented Reality, Cloud Computing, 3D Printing and more.
- Explore Mobile: Just in case you haven’t noticed yet a lot of people utilize their mobile device probably more than their laptop and/or desktop. Make your site mobile ready, if you haven’t done so yet. Also consider getting a mobile website if you do not have the ability to make your site mobile ready and create a redirect from your traditional site to your mobile site. This would allow people that are on mobile devices to automatically go to your mobile site if they are on a mobile device.
- Explore QR Codes again: Mobile devices aren’t going anywhere, if anything usage will increase as the years go by. QR Codes are a great way to create great campaigns to get people to your website. Make sure your QR code campaign is well planned and executed. A few tips, you must have a call to action. You must give a person a reason to scan and make sure your QR Code scans to a mobile device. Finally have a GREAT QR code scanning App. I am currently using Scan.Me and It is the best QR code scanner that I’ve used as of yet because you just move your mobile device close to the QR code and it scans. That’s it, no fiddling around, minimal steps. Tie your QR code campaign to your new direct mail campaign! WINNING!
- Social Media Time Management: Time management is essential with social media, which can honestly be a huge time suck which could lead to burn out without effective time management. Social Media burn out is not even an option, if you are a Digital Marketer. So utilize tools that will help you manage your time more efffectively.
- Finally, Have FUN! Digital Marketing is FUN especially if you have figured out a way to effectively manage your time!
About anisesmithAnise Smith has a Masters Degree in Internet Marketing from Full Sail University. She is President and Director of Anise Smith Marketing which specializes in New Media Marketing Strategies such as Mobile Web, QR code Products, Analytics, Virtual World Integration and more. She has clients primarily focused in the entertainment and music industries which include music producers, artists, managers and booking agents. Anise is also the Digital Marketing Specialist of Full services healthcare Company, located in Cherry Hill, NJ. She uses her healthcare and pharmaceutical marketing background to implement cutting edge digital marketing strategies that merge traditional and digital mediums. She is in charge of creating and implementing marketing strategies for six internal health services brands. Her strategy for a new media marketing mix includes digital marketing, social media optimization, web analytics, video creation/editing, eCommerce platforms, mobile web readiness, custom CMS driven iFrame pages, custom branded WordPress layouts, mobile landing pages, CMS driven mobile pages, E-mail marketing, promotional marketing, building traditional/digital brand awareness and more. Her ultimate goal is to merge traditional marketing with digital marketing strategies to increase brand awareness, increase exposure and potentially increase sales online and offline within the health care services industry. She also works as an advocate for non profit organization which provides financial assistance for medically fragile children and their families. When she is not online she is a rabid Philadelphia EAGLES Fan, closet Foodie and single mom to a miniature male version of herself.
Posted on December 28, 2012, in Digital Marketing and tagged Anise Smith, Digital marketing, Facebook, Google+, Internet Marketing, Marketing, Social Media, Technology, Twitter, wordpress, YouTube. Bookmark the permalink. 5 Comments.