Due to #Mobile and #Social: Every Business MUST Be An Internet Business
Posted by anisesmith
Due to #Mobile and #Social: Every Business MUST Be An Internet Business
When the Internet initially started to become mainstream in the 90’s there were so many companies that felt as if the, then called World Wide Web, was a fad and that it would go away. Hmmm, “how’d that thought process work for ya?” Not so well for those that were reluctant in embracing the World Wide Web, now called the Internet.
I cannot fathom why many many years later there are still people in the world that have selected NOT to embrace technology as a part of their lives. I do have a little bit of tolerance for those that are not into it on a personal level but businesses that STILL have not fully embraced technology are doing themselves a disservice.
In 1995 it was perfectly fine to consider getting a website and waffle in the process of getting that done. Fast-forward eighteen years, YES eighteen year, and organizations are STILL waffling and more behind than ever. We have moved so much beyond just having a website not that it is mind altering. We have also moved to an era where waffling could allow your competitors to get such a big jump on your organization that you would forever be behind the eight ball.
Due to the super quick growth of the tablet and mobile industry we do not have the luxury of waffling on decisions to go full force into the new and aggressive digital marketing space. In fact, if you have a brick and mortar business, you can really no longer even view your organization as a traditional business. YOU must start to see your business as an Internet business. EVERY BUSINESS IS AN INTERNET BUSINESS now.
There is literally no such thing as traditional business anymore, ANY and ALL businesses must be online; therefore, considered Internet businesses. With so many people accessing company websites with mobile devices it’s not even enough to have a traditional website. YOU must be mobile.
It amazes me that there are so many organizations that have not grasped the importance of an online presence. It’s been eighteen years or more since the Internet became mainstream, I don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon. Actually the Internet is fast becoming the most effective way to market any business.
Traditional ways of consuming media is a thing of the past, very few people read newspapers, magazine, flyers, brochures and pamphlets as a primary source of information as was once the case. If someone finds your traditional media somewhere, they search for a website or social media channel to find out more about your company using their mobile device.
So companies that are still utilizing these traditional media outlets for the majority of their business are placing themselves behind the eight ball and additionally presenting themselves to their clients as a company that is NOT on their game.
Companies must create a strong Digital Footprint for their brand and use traditional marketing as a means to DRIVE traffic to their online brand, not the other way around. Traditional media as a primary source of gaining information is DEAD, like the steel mills in Allentown. I’m not saying that all companies should stop using traditional media, but I am saying that you must go where your customer base is and that’s online and by way of mobile device. Simply, people are using mobile devices to access information about YOUR Company and YOUR competitors so that’s where you must go. People are on social media channels accessing information about YOUR Company and YOUR competitors, so that’s where your organization must go.
As we decide to lead our organizations into this digital journey of social media and mobile we must realize that we can not just adapt our old “shove the company pitch in their faces” way of marketing. That does NOT work with social media and no one using a mobile device will want to scroll through an old school organizations long winded pitch about what they do, what they sell, blah blah blah, on their mobile device.
A few keys to reaching your social and mobile audiences are:
- Mobile Website: YOU must first have a mobile website. This is not even optional anymore. With the rate of people consuming media on the go if you opt out of having a mobile web presence you are turning your back on a huge amount of customers and YOUR competitors will be right there to grab them from you.
- Social Media: You must have a strong social media presence AND a strategy that is socially driven. Posting your sales pitch on your channels ONLY displays that you have not fully grasped what our new social oriented world is about. Old school marketing strategy consisted of sharing prepackaged content saying all the right things to push your message without regard for the customer. Social Media is about sharing social oriented content that appeals to YOUR READER. It is NOT about you or your company but about building a relationship with followers, building trust with customers and providing information that THEY will find of value so THEY will then think of your company when it is time to utilize your services. I’ll say that again. It is NOT about you or your company but about building a relationship with followers, building trust with customers and providing information that THEY will find of value so THEY will then think of your company when it is time to utilize your services.
People are on mobile devices AND on social media with their mobile devices so it is imperative that ALL organizations have a presence on both. Take a look below in the statistic on mobile usage.
As of May 2013:
- 91% of American Adults have a cell phone
- 56% of American Adults have a smart phone
- 67% of cell phone owners check their phone for messages, alerts and calls EVEN if the phone is not ringing or vibrating.
- 44% of people sleep with their phone next to their bed.
As of April 2012:
- 55% of adult cell phone users use the Internet on their mobile, which has doubled in three years.
- 31% of cell phone Internet users mostly use their mobile device for Internet, not desktops or laptops.
- 17% of ALL adults cell phone owners use their cell ONLY for accessing the Internet.
- 31% of cell phone uses look for health or medical information online.
- 68% of Smartphone users use their device to access the Internet.
With desktop computer usage on the decline, laptop usage rising and mobile usage growing at a super quick rate of speed businesses, MUST start to see their businesses as Internet businesses. They can no longer AFFORD to ignore having a strong presence in the SOCIAL and MOBILE space.
It’s time to ADAPT your ORGANIZATIONAL strategies to the new the new mobile and social world NOT keep your same old school strategies and add digital as an afterthought. It’s a new world squirrel Adapt or die.
Pew Internet http://pewinternet.org/
About anisesmithAnise Smith has a Masters Degree in Internet Marketing from Full Sail University. She is President and Director of Anise Smith Marketing which specializes in New Media Marketing Strategies such as Mobile Web, QR code Products, Virtual World Integration and more. She has clients primarily focused in the entertainment and music industries which include music producers, artists, managers and booking agents. Anise is also the Digital Marketing Specialist of a Full services healthcare Company, located in Cherry Hill, NJ. She uses her healthcare and pharmaceutical marketing background to implement cutting edge digital marketing strategies that merge traditional and digital mediums. She is in charge of creating and implementing marketing strategies for seven internal health services brands. Her strategy for a new media marketing mix includes digital marketing, social media optimization, web analytics, video creation/editing, eCommerce platforms, mobile web readiness, custom CMS driven iFrame pages, custom branded WordPress layouts, building traditional/digital brand awareness and more. Her ultimate goal is to merge traditional marketing with digital marketing strategies to increase brand awareness, increase exposure and potentially increase sales online and offline within the health care services industry. She also works as an advocate for a soon to be non profit organization which provides college and educational resources for inner city kids, Urban Freshman. When she is not online she is a rabid Philadelphia EAGLES Fan, closet Foodie and single mom to a miniature male version of herself.
Posted on August 4, 2013, in Digital Marketing, Marketing, Mobile, Social Media, Wordpress and tagged Anise Smith, Business, Company, digital marketing with mobile, Facebook, get a mobile website for your business, Internet Marketing, Marketing and Advertising, mobile in 20 minutes, mobile taking over, mobile web and your business, mobile web for business, mobile website templates, mobile websites cheap, mobile websites run on wordpress, Social Media, Twitter, websites not enough you must be mobile, why you must be mobile, why you need a mobile website. mobile web and social for business, World Wide Web. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a Comment.