During the holidays and through out the year I’ve encountered many companies that have amazing products to offer but are totally stuck in a time warp, as in how they really need to be marketing their amazing products and services. A company can have the most amazing, life altering product and or service to offer but if NO ONE knows about these services and products it’s irrelevant.
Technology has surpassed the time when a business could advertise a company in a small local free digest, take orders by telephone at your location or office. As a tech savvy society it is imperative that our companies grow with technology and not continue to hold on to old ways, now matter how comfortable. We have also moved past the times when it was OK, to just have a website. Needless to say, if you don’t even have a website, there is quite a bit of catching up to do.
I know that getting started if you are not on board with technology can seem like a daunting task. So a few steps that you can take to get on board with Internet Marketing in 2012.
- Blog: A blog can be used in instead of a website or it can use do compliment a traditional website. The most amazing thing about a blog is that it is serious GOOGLE JUICE, which means the format of blog can act to get pretty good exposure and increase Google ranking. Blogs, as opposed to websites offer the ability to provide an ongoing flow of new content. That is of course depending on how much you post new content to a blog. The continuous posting of new and fresh content is one of the things that Google Bots search for on any web presence. So if you don’t have a blog, what are you waiting for start blogging. I have have used practically every blogging format available, so I say go straight for the best and that’s WordPress. It is a great format and Google LOVES WordPress. WordPress.com is hosted by WordPress and is really pretty easy to get started. Then there is the full blow content management system of WordPress.org, which would be hosted by you. Take a look at the Tutorial below, it will give you some tips on WordPress. It is a recorded webinar so it is a little long but it will give you everything needed to get started.
- Facebook Personal Page: I started my personal Facebook page as a way to connect with friends and family but it really has become a huge tool for networking. So now I use it 85% for networking 15% for connecting for friends and family. Facebook personal pages are for personal /networking use and there are Facebook Business Pages used to set up your business presence. You need a Facebook personal page before you can set up a page for your business.
- Facebook Business Page: Is a HUGE part of any Internet Marketing Strategy. A Facebook Business Page is a GREAT compliment to your Blog. The page allows you an avenue to share your blog posts and additional information with people that follow your page. Also, people tend to search out Facebook Business pages sometimes in lieu of a traditional website, to find out more information about your company. So by NOT having a Facebook Business Page for your company you could potentially miss out on an opportunity to share information about your companies products and services. So if you don’t have a Facebook Business Page its very important to your company to capitalize on this FREE platform to promote your company. Remember, potential customers could be searching for your company on Facebook, so you want to make sure they are able to find you! So Create your Facebook Page today!
- Twitter: Is an often overlooked resource in creating a new social media strategy. Twitter is a great way to gain company exposure, increase brand awareness and potentially sales leads for your company. You can also share blog posts by way of Twitter. Keep in mind that Twitter is NOT an avenue to shove your message at followers but more of an avenue to engage and share information that is of value to your followers. Twitter rocks and you should definitely get started with utilizing this powerful platform .
- Google+ Profile: Is a new social media platform to share content and interact with people. Although it’s still new, the potential is huge as is any Google product or service. As an early adopter of social media platforms I strongly encourage getting acclimated to this platform by setting up a profile.
- Google+ Pages: Pages are also really new but the potential is huge as I’m sure Google has huge plans for this new platform that is gaining popularity. One of the things that is really powerful about Google+ is that it’s a Google product and Google is known to really have exceptional service. Google+ is now starting to integrate posts from personal and pages in search results. So Google+ will have a huge effect on SEO.